Wed

10

Nov

2010

a donation to COSC

The Center on Sustainable Communities is having its second annual fundraising party on Thursday, November 11th. Although I was not a part of the event last year, I am very excited for this year's Evergreen. As a new intern for COSC, I am looking forward to seeing what it's all about and how I can get involved with the organization. Last week, I ran around town hanging posters and asking for donations for the event's silent auction. Since a few other art pieces were donated, I figured why not donate something of mine?? So, a set of four tripod doily cups signed with an "LP" will be up for auction later this week. We'll see if anyone likes them enough to bid on them, but all in all--every little bit counts and I'm glad to participate!

3 Comments

Fri

22

Oct

2010

unload and away we go!

It was a celebration as we unloaded Joy's kiln and instantly saw signs of a beautiful firing. We had a little trouble with the wind during the firing, but all in all, it seemed like we did a pretty good job of keeping the temperature fairly even from top to bottom and front to back.

 

Here are two good-looking plates of mine that we pulled out from the first stack. Each were pressed from leaves or pine needles from Joy and Daniell's property and fired with other plates wadded on top of them. The glazes used are apple ash (left) and yellow salt (right).

0 Comments

Fri

15

Oct

2010

a quick pitstop

 

 

I'm all done at La Capretta Studio, but before heading home, I'm making a little pit stop at Joy Bridy's in West Virginia to help with her wood firing. Here I am shortly after finishing up the loading process and before heading in for dinner on Wednesday. The firing will start at 4am on Friday and last 'til it lasts on Saturday afternoon/evening. I'm on all the 10-1 shifts, opposite of Joy on all the 1-10 shifts. It's bound to be a blast!

0 Comments

Thu

30

Sep

2010

3rd Annual Clarke County Studio Tour

 

The Studio Tour has come and gone with great success!! I was very pleased with the number of visitors to the studio and enjoyed the wide range of conversations they brought.

 

It was quite the task to get the studio cleaned up and rearranged, but it was worth it! I had a table filled with little plates and cups, a mini installation of keyholes, two shelves of pots, and a demo table. 

 

Now it's time to pack up and head out to Joy's to help with her firing!!

 

More photos to come as I update my gallery!!

0 Comments

Mon

20

Sep

2010

the final countdown!

 

The 3rd Annual Clarke County Studio Tour is this weekend! I've been counting down for weeks now, making sure I stay on schedule with production. So far so good as I get ready to load the kiln for the first of two firings this week! It'll be a quick turnaround to unload, glaze, and load again while also getting the studio ready for guests!

0 Comments

Wed

15

Sep

2010

some interesting results

My first reaction when I opened the kiln was 'oh no!', but I guess that is a pretty typical response for me. I try not to have expectations when glaze testing or trying something new, but sometimes it's unavoidable. So, when I unloaded the kiln, I was feeling a little disappointed with the results. But, I've learned from experience that it is best to just set something aside and then come back to it a few hours or a day later to reassess. Turns out, these glaze tests aren't half bad! 

For some reason, I forgot that red iron oxide is actually green when in an oxidized atmosphere--like an electric kiln. So, while I did not get the nice reds and oranges I was shooting for, I do like the tones of golden browns and even some of the green-grays that came out of this batch of glaze testing.

 

Now it's time for another bisque firing or two, more glazing and then another glaze firing to finish up everything for the studio tour....

1 Comments

Mon

13

Sep

2010

mixing it up... again!

The time has finally come! (It feels like I've been waiting and planning for this round of glaze testing for weeks!) Last time I tested glazes, I did a tri-axial blend of three glazes I already had mixed up (28 tests). This time, I started from scratch--measuring all the glaze ingredients (thank goodness I had help from Kate!!), and added varied amounts of rutile and red iron oxide (39 test!). The whole process was very time consuming, but as far as I can tell, a good learning experience. 

 

Now, it's the waiting game. All the tripod cups and stamped plates are glazed and loaded in the kiln! Hopefully the firing goes well and I'll open the kiln to see beautiful reds and oranges. That would be SUCH a great birthday present!

0 Comments

Wed

08

Sep

2010

starting to pile up...

 

 

With just a few weeks left, the studio shelves are filling up! There are pieces at every stage of the drying process as well as fresh out of the bisque!

 

Pictured here are coiled keyholes, leaf tiles from a plaster mold I made a few years ago, a vase and a planter.

0 Comments