Today was the work session for this year's Emerging Iowa Artists for the 2011 Des Moines Arts Festival, meant as an introduction to participating in festivals as well as an informational meeting for the Des Moines Arts Festival (important times and other good-to-know bits of information).
So, my To Do/Think About List:
- I just ordered 200 business cards, apparently I will need at least 500 to pass out to folks with the intention of following up at a later date.
- The booths are set up with peg boards: not very attractive if NOT covered up/used... so, keyhole installation??
- Overall booth set up could lead to an invitation back next year as well as a $1000 prize for EIA Best in Show. I better get cracking not only making things to sell, but also creating a kick-ass booth...
Below are a few pictures that caught my eye when searching for some inspiration and direction in this initial brainstorming of my booth via Google Image Search.
Things to learn from these artists' booths:
- Having a variety of pieces helps break up the space--using the wall to display hanging pieces and shelves or pedastals for the rest.
- Mini shelves used on larger shelves helps fill the space in a more interesteing way, allowing different levels within each traditional slot.
- Shelves showcasing a particular form (cups nested in their own shelves) is fun and is an installation piece in itself.
- Having a designated place for business cards and guest sign-in may be a good idea to fill the space and make it easier on visitors.
All in all, I'm excited!! I know I have a LOT of work to do, but that's part of the fun too, right?! The next ten weeks are going to be BUSY! Here we go!